Causes of testosterone deficiency in men have different origins.
Disorders of testicles. If the testicles start functioning improperly, then this can cause a testosterone deficiency in a man’s body. For example, impairments in functioning appear as the consequences of various injuries of the testicles or surgical interventions. Removing the testicles also leads to a decrease in testosterone levels in a male body.
Inflammatory diseases, transferred at different ages (for example, parotitis and others), cause changes in testosterone production, leading to its deficiency.
Impaired functioning of the hypothalamic-pituitary system. It happens that the number of hormones produced by the pituitary and hypothalamus is insufficient. Such abnormalities cause a decrease in the function of the testes, which leads to testosterone deficiency. The production of hormones by the hypothalamus is disrupted for a number of reasons, one of which may be the presence of genetic defects, for example, Kallmann syndrome.
Drug addiction, receiving large doses of radiation, exposure to environmental toxins lead to defects in communication between the hypothalamus, pituitary, and testes, as well as disruption of their functioning. As a result, there is a decrease in the production of testosterone in a male body.
Answering the question, "What is testosterone?" we will list the outcomes of decreased testosterone secretion.
- A man stops experiencing sexual desire or notices its temporary absence.
- The number of erections decreases, and its quality gets worse.
- Sex acts do not bring the same pleasure and do not last as long as before.
- A man becomes sad for no apparent reason, experiences tearfulness, the level of irritability increases.
- More acts of urination, but there is less of the actual urine (a man often goes to the toilet but produces little to no urine).
- Physical weakness, the impossibility to perform actions that previously did not cause difficulties without significant effort (for example, lift weights, run, etc.).
- Memory gets worse, absent-mindedness appears, thought processes require greater effort and time. Impaired cognitive functions are caused by the fact that testosterone also affects mental activity.
- Poor sleep, constant fatigue, general malaise, which then causes lots of other health problems.
Symptoms of Low Testosterone in Men
It seems to many people that only libido depends on the level of the testosterone, but it’s not true. In particular, it is this hormone that determines the level of energy in the human body and the increase in muscle mass, it affects many key health indicators, including mood and emotions. Low testosterone causes apathy in men, as well as in many women. And here are 8 key signs of low testosterone in men.
1. Decreased libido. This is the most obvious and well-known sign of low testosterone level. Almost every patient who turns to doctors with complaints of decreased libido or sexual appetite learns about the low rates of testosterone. The brain’s area responsible for sexual desire is called the amygdala, and there are testosterone receptors. The hormone is the key that activates them.
2. Reduced muscle mass. Testosterone is an anabolic hormone, which determines the increase in muscle mass. It is no coincidence that professional bodybuilders inject themselves with artificial testosterone in order to achieve unnatural body proportions. Testosterone helps the body produce specific proteins, which are the building materials of muscles. When the level of the hormone decreases, the body goes into a catabolic state, the muscles break down, and the volume of fat increases. A study conducted by Japanese scientists showed that men with low testosterone levels lost muscle mass three times faster than those whose hormone levels were normal.
3. Reducing the size of the penis. Without a steady flow of testosterone, genital tissue will get atrophied. As a result, the penis may become shorter. In this case, hormone replacement therapy can provide a return to a previous state of a penis. Lots of men have gone through such surgeries.
4. The growth of the abdomen. The more muscle you lose, the more fat you gain. Australian scientists have found that victims of prostate cancer, who take testosterone suppression therapy, add 14% more subcutaneous and 22% more visceral fat in a year. Visceral fat stuffs the internal organs, increasing the risk of diabetes and heart disease.
5. Memory problems. Low testosterone levels in men cause problems with thinking and with their memory. In 2015, Australian scientists proved that men whose testosterone levels declined over five years also found problems with memory and thinking, as indicated by special tests.
6. Decreased mood. One of the side effects of low testosterone in addition to a decrease in libido is a decrease in mood. 23% of young people who were diagnosed with abnormally low testosterone levels suffer from depression - compared with only 5% of their peers with a normal rate of this hormone.
7. The weakening of the bones. What does testosterone do? It makes our bones harder. Bones are living tissues that are constantly being broken down and repaired. When testosterone levels fall, bones break down faster than the body can recover them in time, which threatens to reduce their mineral density, osteoporosis and fractures.
8. Heart disease. Lower testosterone level increases the risk of heart problems according to some experts. One study by British scientists showed that men with low testosterone levels are more likely to die from heart disease since this hormone helps expand blood vessels. On the other hand, a number of studies suggest that testosterone therapy, especially in the elderly, increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes. Experts believe that testosterone thickens the blood, which increases the risk of blood clots.
How to Increase Testosterone?
How to naturally increase testosterone? Here are 10 products to do it.
Cereals are useful not only for little boys but also for adult men. The fiber contained in any porridge stimulates digestion, which accelerates blood in the pelvic area and helps get rid of toxins.
2. Dry red wine
This natural grape drink interferes with the synthesis of estrogen and improves the functioning of the hormonal system in men. The main thing is not to overdo it: no more than two glasses are allowed per day.
Pistachios, hazelnuts, almonds, and walnuts are foods that boost testosterone. The ideal vitamin and mineral composition is collected by the body from these products, thanks to which the production of testosterone increases significantly. Walnuts are considered to be the most useful testosterone boosters, which means it makes sense to add chopped nuts to salads or use them with honey.
How can you possibly list testosterone-increasing products without mentioning meat? This is beef and veal, horse meat. This does not mean that they should be eaten without any limits, it simply isn’t healthy. It is enough to eat around 200 grams of meat per day. It is believed that heat treatment reduces the ability of the product to regulate hormones. This is partly true, but in the case of meat, the situation is quite the opposite.
They are even more beneficial than red meat. Various list of products that increase testosterone put them in second place, although some doctors and nutritionists recommend swapping them with red meat. All the gifts of Poseidon are low-calorie, easily digested and saturate the body with various healthy elements. Seafood is not only rich in zinc, which acts as the main building material for testosterone molecules but is also rich in the famous Omega-3 and Omega-6.
6. Dairy products
This is one of the best products when it comes to increasing the level of testosterone in men. Various scientific studies show us that the ratio of fat to protein greatly influences the final result. I would like to note that we are not talking about cheese products made using palm oil. Only high-quality low-fat cottage cheese may be useful in this case. It is a source of pure protein that is easily digested. Benefits of cottage cheese have been known for a long time. One plate of it contains more protein and less fat than a serving of meat or chicken. It is recommended to eat it every day during lunch or dinner.
This is an amazing gift from nature itself. Therefore, when talking about what products increase testosterone in men, we cannot forget about them. One serving of beans will give you more zinc than any other plant known to science. Braised beans will go great together with red meat. It has a high protein content, a small amount of fat and dietary fiber - all this creates a winning combination. If there are no fresh green beans on hand, frozen or canned will do. Useful properties do not change from a way of preparation. The list of products that increase testosterone, must include legumes. You should eat them at least twice a weak. If you are good at making your portions, it can be consumed every day.
8. Greens and seasonings
Surely you have heard about the temperament of the southern nations. But they regularly eat a lot of greens, as well as seasonings. In most western cultures, these products that increase testosterone in the body, are used in minimal quantities. The most useful are parsley and dill, onion and mustard, cilantro and parsnip as well as horseradish. Salt should be used to the minimum. It is better to use cardamom and red pepper. It is recommended to eat at least one clove of garlic a day.
As you can see, products that increase testosterone levels are mostly high in protein. Therefore, we can say that it is much harder for vegetarians to maintain a high level of testosterone. One of such products that they cannot consume is eggs. Yes, it is a source of cholesterol, but it’s pure and completely harmless, despite the fact that until recently, doctors thought differently about it. The fact is that cholesterol is a building material for testosterone molecules. So, you can boldly stock up on eggs. If there are no individual restrictions, you can start the day with 3-4 of them, cooked in olive oil. The calorie content of this product is not too high, but the benefits are colossal.
Fresh vegetables should be included in the diet. They contain a large amount of easily digestible organic vitamins and minerals. All types of cabbage, as well as tomatoes, celery, and avocado, products that increase testosterone in men. Cabbage reduces the likelihood of prostate cancer, and celery contains androsterone, which has a positive effect on male sexuality.